15.53

I'm not cut out for machine embroidery

Today was Pride in Brighton, so this morning we headed down to watch the parade. Sadly I didn't manage to take any photos because we weren't in the best spot which meant they would have just included the back of lots of people's heads!

After the parade I went and met Alice for lunch and we headed over to the Phoenix Gallery to check out the Twist & Make exhibition.


There were some really interesting pieces of work on display - all using various forms of craft. 

These little dresses are all knitted or crocheted out of artificial hair:



I really liked this hanging of tiny little birdcages:


There were also these fantastic embroidered hangings which I loved (not a very good picture I'm afraid...):


Whilst we were walking around there was a taster session on showing people how to do machine embroidery. This inspired me to give it a go myself when I got home. I first of all traced one of my favourite pictures (it's Madonna believe it or not) which I thought would look really good as a simple design. 


I first of all traced the picture. As you can see the bike looked a bit rubbish so I decided to leave this out in the end. 


Here is my final result! I ended up hand stitching the face as it was driving me crazy. Not bad for a first attempt but along way off anything I'm happy with. I have to admit, I threw a good few tantrums doing this so don't think I'll be trying embroidery again any time soon!










Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...